Learning Lessons from NRMC’s Executive Director
NRMC’s Melanie Lockwood Herman was recently inspired to see a consulting client devote a full day for all-staff training on topics ranging from diversity and inclusion to managing up. Melanie is an advocate for lifelong learning and professional development. Look back at some of Melanie’s articles on the topic of learning:
- Distraction & Decision Fatigue are Brain Drain for Risk Champions offers insight to enhanced decision-making
- Truth or Story? The Human Capacity for Knowledge explores the themes of collective intelligence, true comprehension, and storytelling as a learning tool
- Rebellion: How to Change Your Approach to Learning provides practical tips for learning at least a little something at every opportunity
- Ready, Mindset, Go! explains how cultivating a growth mindset can open new doors for learning and mission advancement
- Curiosity Trumps Competence recommends hiring candidates who demonstrate potential and a lifelong desire to learn
- Break Free: The Big Payoff from Kicking the Habit calls upon nonprofit leaders to breakdown assumptions
Learning Fail: Harassment Prevention Training Doesn’t Work!
Many organizations have recently committed to re-learning how to prevent and identify harassment in the workplace. A June 2016 EEOC report indicated that harassment training has rarely worked as a prevention tool because it’s often focused on limiting legal liability.
Get Melanie’s perspective on in her workshop, #HereToo: Workplace Harassment is Real, at our upcoming virtual conference Risk Connect. Also read Melanie’s recent article, “Workplace Harassment: An Unacceptable Risk.”
Neuroscience & Risk Management
Our recent webinar If I Only Had a Brain: Neuroscience & Risk Management, explores thinking and decision-making patterns that can either bolster or impede risk management efforts.
Read the free accompanying articles by webinar co-presenters Diana Del Bel Belluz, President of Risk Wise Inc., and NRMC’s Executive Director, Melanie Lockwood Herman:
- “The Neuroscience of Enterprise Risk Management,” by Diana Del Bel Belluz, published in the Autumn 2017 issue of Risk Watch from the Conference Board of Canada
- “How Neuroscience & Risk Management Link to Fear & Memory,” by Melanie Lockwood Herman, Nonprofit Risk Management Center
Affiliate Members can access the webinar by logging in and visiting the Webinar Vault. Others can join our Affiliate Member family or check our Affiliate Member listing!
NRMC Professional Development Opportunities
During 2018, the NRMC team offers two new exciting professional development opportunities for nonprofit leaders and corporate supporters of the nonprofit sector.
Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Webinar Series
Join us for a five-part webinar series exploring the emerging discipline of Enterprise Risk Management (ERM). NRMC presenters will share insights and practical advice learned from our consulting engagements, inspiring you to develop or augment ERM capabilities in your nonprofit.
- ERM 101 (now available on-demand)
- Risk Reporting & Engaging the Board in Risk Oversight (April 25)
- Setting & Applying Your Risk Appetite (May 30)
- Strategic Risk Assessment & Management (June 27)
- Evaluating Your ERM Program (July 25)
NRMC webinars are available exclusively to our Affiliate Members. Check our Affiliate Member listing or join now.
Existing Affiliate Members can access the ERM 101 webinar by logging in and visiting the Webinar Vault. For help navigating Affiliate Member benefits, contact Kay Nakamura at 703.777.3504 or Kay@nonprofitrisk.org
All ERM series webinars are at 2:00 pm Eastern.