S A M P L E
This form may be adapted to use with preteen or teenage participants in your program. You may wish to make the language less formal or the vocabulary less sophisticated, depending on the developmental stage of the young people in your programs. You might also wish to add or subtract components to the code. You may find you get more buy in” if the participants are part of the development process. If you use a “contract” such as this, you must be willing to enforce the consequences if the code is broken, or otherwise the “contract” has no meaning for the participants. Including youth and staff together in one code strengthens the notion that rules are part of life that both youth and adults have to follow.
Code of Conduct
[Name of Nonprofit] is a youth-serving, community-based organization dedicated to providing [description of mission or services]. Participation in the organization’s programs is subject to the observance of the organization’s rules and procedures. The activities outlined below are strictly prohibited. Any participant or staff member who violates this Code is subject to discipline, up to and including removal from the program.
- Abusive language towards a staff member, volunteer or another participant.
- Possession or use of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs on [Name of Nonprofit]’s property or reporting to the program while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Bringing onto [Name of Nonprofit]’s property dangerous or unauthorized materials such as explosives, firearms, weapons or other similar items.
- Discourtesy or rudeness to a fellow participant, staff member or volunteer.
- Verbal, physical or visual harassment of another participant, staff member or volunteer.
- Actual or threatened violence toward any individual or group.
- Conduct endangering the life, safety, health or well-being of others.
- Failure to follow any agency policy or procedure.
- Bullying or taking unfair advantage of any participant.
- Failing to cooperate with an adult supervisor/leader/mentor.
I have read and I understand the [Name of Nonprofit]’s Code of Conduct. I agree to abide by the rules described above and understand that I may be removed as a participant if I violate any of these rules.