The welding school was started in 1930 as a department of the Hobart Brothers Company. In 1940, the school was granted a charter by the State of Ohio as a 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation governed by a board of directors and became known as the Hobart Trade School. As welding became more popular, the demand for trained welders increased and larger school facilities were required. In 1940, a new all-welded steel building was designed and built to house the welding school operation. Hobart Institute trained thousands of welders for World War II production in 1942-45.
Over 100,000 people have successfully completed Hobart Institute of Welding Technology courses. We have trained students both male and female from all over the world ranging from the individual student directly out of high school to employees of Fortune 500 companies.